PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. – The PGA of America and League Golf will honor eight regional PGA Junior League Golf Captains and PGA Sections of the Year for their successful 2014 seasons during the 62nd PGA Merchandise Show. The national PGA Junior League Golf Captain and PGA Section of the Year will be named Jan. 21 (Wednesday) during the “Growing Junior Golf Through PGA Junior League Golf” presentation (2:30 – 3:15 p.m.) on the PGA Forum Stage.
“Our Professionals and PGA Section honorees have truly put in the time, energy and passion to cultivate PGA Junior League Golf participants across the country,” said PGA of America President Derek Sprague. “Thanks to their efforts, boys and girls nationwide are being introduced to golf and ensuring the future of the game.”
The regional PGA Sections of the Year honorees were selected based on the total number of teams, percentage increase in teams from 2013, percentage of PGA facilities participating and their overall involvement in PGA Junior League Golf promotion, recruitment, league assignments and communication.
Each of the eight regional PGA Junior League Golf Sections of the Year saw significant increases in team participation in 2014. Below are the regional winners and their percentage increases from 2013 to 2014:
Region 1 – New England PGA Section
- 85 teams, 74% increase
Region 2 – Mid-Atlantic PGA Section
- 115 teams, 80% increase
Region 3 – Indiana PGA Section
- 98 teams, 63% increase
Region 4 – Illinois PGA Section
- 124 teams, 126% increase
Region 5 – Carolinas PGA Section
- 105 teams, 135% increase
Region 6 – Georgia PGA Section
- 86 teams, 56% increase
Region 7 – Gateway PGA Section
- 47 teams, 840% increase
Region 8 – Pacific Northwest PGA Section
- 62 teams, 265% increase
The regional Captains of the Year were selected based upon various criteria, including player participation, recruitment of PGA Professional Captains, parental involvement and other administrative duties associated with running their leagues.
The 2014 PGA Junior League Golf regional Captains of the Year with their achievements are:
- Region 1 – Todd Cook, PGA: Milton Hoosic Club (Canton, Mass.)
- Region 2 – Andy Miller, PGA: Berkshire Country Club (Reading, Pa.)
- Region 3 – Scott Jones, PGA: Turnberry Golf Course (Pickerington, Ohio)
- Region 4 – Todd Russell, PGA: Springbrook Golf Club (Naperville, Ill.)
- Region 5 – Ralph Landrum, PGA: World of Golf (Florence, Ky.)
- Region 6 – Jack Dean, PGA: Dublin, Ga.
- Region 7 – Nic Bunning, PGA: Greenbriar Hills Country Club (Kirkwood, Mo.)
- Region 8 – Nolan Halterman, PGA: Anthem Country Club (Henderson, Nev.)
PGA Junior League Golf is also a finalist for the 22nd annual ING Industry Honor Awards in the Player Development category. The winner will be announced Jan. 22 (Thursday) during the PGA Merchandise Show.
For more information about PGA Junior League Golf, visit PGAJrLeagueGolf.com.
To learn more about the PGA of America, visit PGAMediaCenter.com.
Below is a list of PGA Sections located within each Region:
- Region 1 – Connecticut, New England, Metropolitan New York, Northeast New York, Central New York, Western New York
- Region 2 – New Jersey, Middle Atlantic, Philadelphia
- Region 3 – Indiana, Michigan, Southern Ohio, Northern Ohio, Tri-State
- Region 4 – Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska
- Region 5 – Tennessee, Kentucky, Carolinas
- Region 6 – Georgia, Dixie, North Florida, South Florida
- Region 7 – South Texas, South Central, Gateway, Colorado, Sun Country, Midwest, Gulf States, North Texas
- Region 8 – Southern California, Northern California, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mountain, Utah, Aloha
Tammy Boclair, Alday Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org, 615.791.1535 x26
Randy Stutzman, PGA of America, email@example.com, 561.624.8438